You’ll learn the fundamentals of data analysis in Excel, including how to explore and extract data from datasets using SQL. You’ll also learn how to build informative data visualizations using a variety of chart types, as well as how to present insights to audiences using Tableau.
Best of all, you’ll learn by doing — you’ll practice and get feedback directly in the browser. You’ll apply your skills to several guided projects with realistic business scenarios to build your portfolio and prepare for your next interview.
By the end of the career path, you’ll be ready for the official Tableau Desktop Specialist Certification, an in-demand assessment that certifies your skills in Tableau.
- Using foundational math and statistics for data analysis
- Retrieving and manipulating data from databases using SQL
- Importing, preparing, analyzing, and summarizing data using Excel
- Conveying insights effectively to tell a story using Tableau
Part 1: Introduction to Data Analysis with Excel [5 courses]
Introduction to Data Analysis in Excel 3hObjectives
- Define, categorize, and evaluate data
- Identify ways data is used in business and everyday life
- Organize data
- Describe key steps of the data analysis process
Preparing Data in Excel 6hObjectives
- Import data into an Excel spreadsheet from more than one data source
- Organize data into a spreadsheet using worksheets and tables
- Clean, manipulate, and modify the data
- Consolidate the data for analysis
Visualizing Data in Excel 5hObjectives
- Visualize data using pie, column, histogram, line, scatter, and combo charts
- Select the appropriate data visualization
- Create charts using design principles
- Design visualizations for your intended audience
Exploring Data in Excel 4hObjectives
- Define descriptive statistics
- Identify the different types of descriptive statistics
- Identify when to use each descriptive statistic
- Apply and compare different descriptive statistics to a single column, to multiple columns, and to groups of data
- Create visualizations to explore and analyze data
Analyzing Data in Excel 4hObjectives
- Analyze data and discover business insights using PivotTables
- Identify trends over time in time-series data
- Summarize and visualize relationships between categorical and quantitative variables
- Confirm a relationship between an independent and dependent variable using linear regression
- Estimate the sensitivity of an output to given inputs
Part 2: Fundamentals of SQL [5 courses]
Introduction to SQL and Databases 2hObjectives
- Define the structure of SQL
- Create basic queries to extract data from tables in a database
- Define databases
- Identify different versions of SQL
- Write good SQL code
Filtering and Sorting Data in SQL 4hObjectives
- Define binary operations and functions
- Define datatypes
- Filter results based on logical constraints
- Order results
Summarizing Data in SQL 3hObjectives
- Employ SQL to compute statistics
- Provide statistics by group
- Filter results over groups
Combining Tables in SQL Course 3hObjectives
- Combine tables using inner joins
- Employ different types of joins
- Employ other SQL clauses with joins
- Join on complex conditions
- Employ set operators like UNION and EXCEPT
SQL Subqueries 5hObjectives
- Nest a query inside another query
- Employ different types of subqueries
- Employ common table expressions
- Scale your project with complex queries
Part 3: Data Visualization with Tableau [4 courses]
Data Preparation in Tableau 3hObjectives
- Prepare for the Tableau Desktop Specialist Certification Exam
- Import data into Tableau to explore and analyze using visualizations
- Relate various data imported into Tableau using relationships and joins
- Clean and filter data imported into Tableau
Data Visualization Fundamentals in Tableau 5hObjectives
- Employ data visualization and business intelligence to help solve business problems
- Visualize data using Tableau and build different types of basic charts
- Employ data visualization best practices
Visual Analytics in Tableau 3hObjectives
- Perform table calculations for data analysis
- Write level of detail (LOD) expressions
- Add interactivity using Tableau parameters
- Visualize data distributions with reference and distribution bands
Sharing Insights in Tableau 3hObjectives
- Highlight insights using color, size, and text
- Build dashboards to combine charts
- Share and export analyses
The Dataquest guarantee
Dataquest has helped thousands of people start new careers in data. If you put in the work and follow our path, you’ll master data skills and grow your career.
We believe so strongly in our paths that we offer a full satisfaction guarantee. If you complete a career path on Dataquest and aren’t satisfied with your outcome, we’ll give you a refund.
Master skills faster with Dataquest
Go from zero to job-ready
Learn exactly what you need to achieve your goal. Don’t waste time on unrelated lessons.
Build your project portfolio
Build confidence with our in-depth projects, and show off your data skills.
Challenge yourself with exercises
Work with real data from day one with interactive lessons and hands-on exercises.
Showcase your path certification
Impress employers by completing a capstone project and certifying it with an expert review.
Projects in this path
Guided Project: Preparing Data with Excel
In this guided project, you’ll import a dataset, organize it, clean it, and then consolidate it into a single table, preparing it for analysis.
Guided Project: Visualizing the Answer to Stock Questions Using Spreadsheet Charts
In this project, we will apply the knowledge and skills we developed in the preceding lessons to present stock data clearly and help answer important questions about the underlying data.
Guided Project: Identifying Customers Likely to Churn for a Telecommunications Provider
In this project, we’ll conduct an Exploratory Data Analysis (EDA) on data from a telecommunications provider to create profiles on customers that are at risk of churn.
Guided Project: Analyzing Retail Sales
Work with retail sales data to explore trends and relationships. Build basic models to confirm the statistical significance of your insights.
Guided Project: Customers and Products Analysis Using SQL
Work on a real-life project using SQL