You’ll learn the fundamentals of data analysis in Excel, including how to explore and extract data from datasets using SQL. You’ll also learn how to build informative data visualizations using a variety of chart types, as well as how to present insights to audiences using Tableau.
Best of all, you’ll learn by doing — you’ll practice and get feedback directly in the browser. You’ll apply your skills to several guided projects with realistic business scenarios to build your portfolio and prepare for your next interview.
By the end of the career path, you’ll be ready for the official Tableau Desktop Specialist Certification, an in-demand assessment that certifies your skills in Tableau.
- Using foundational math and statistics for data analysis
- Retrieving and manipulating data from databases using SQL
- Importing, preparing, analyzing, and summarizing data using Excel
- Conveying insights effectively to tell a story using Tableau
Part 1: Introduction to Data Analysis with Excel [5 courses]
- Define descriptive statistics
- Identify the different types of descriptive statistics
- Identify when to use each descriptive statistic
- Apply and compare different descriptive statistics to a single column, to multiple columns, and to groups of data
- Create visualizations to explore and analyze data
- Analyze data and discover business insights using PivotTables
- Identify trends over time in time-series data
- Summarize and visualize relationships between categorical and quantitative variables
- Confirm a relationship between an independent and dependent variable using linear regression
- Estimate the sensitivity of an output to given inputs
Part 2: Fundamentals of SQL [5 courses]
Part 3: Data Visualization with Tableau [4 courses]
The Dataquest guarantee
Dataquest has helped thousands of people start new careers in data. If you put in the work and follow our path, you’ll master data skills and grow your career.
We believe so strongly in our paths that we offer a full satisfaction guarantee. If you complete a career path on Dataquest and aren’t satisfied with your outcome, we’ll give you a refund.
Master skills faster with Dataquest
Go from zero to job-ready
Build your project portfolio
Challenge yourself with exercises
Showcase your path certification
Projects in this path
Guided Project: Preparing Data with Excel
In this guided project, you’ll import a dataset, organize it, clean it, and then consolidate it into a single table, preparing it for analysis.
Guided Project: Visualizing the Answer to Stock Questions Using Spreadsheet Charts
In this project, we will apply the knowledge and skills we developed in the preceding lessons to present stock data clearly and help answer important questions about the underlying data.
Guided Project: Identifying Customers Likely to Churn for a Telecommunications Provider
In this project, we’ll conduct an Exploratory Data Analysis (EDA) on data from a telecommunications provider to create profiles on customers that are at risk of churn.
Guided Project: Analyzing Retail Sales
Work with retail sales data to explore trends and relationships. Build basic models to confirm the statistical significance of your insights.