This course is part of the “Introduction to Data Analysis with Excel” skill path, which we designed for those seeking the practical skills in Excel to perform data analysis and visualization — and ultimately help organizations make better-informed decisions. We designed it for aspiring data professionals with little experience and learners who use basic Excel in their daily jobs and want to enhance their skills.
In this course, you’ll learn how to develop business insights using PivotTables, how to identify trends using time-series analysis, and how to create data visualizations to tell meaningful stories. You’ll also learn how to summarize and visualize relationships between categorical and quantitative variables.
Best of all, you’ll learn by doing — you’ll practice and get feedback directly in the browser.
- Using PivotTables to analyze data and discover business insights
- Working with time-series data to identify trends over time
- Confirming a relationship between an independent and dependent variable using linear regression
- Estimating the sensitivity of an output to given inputs
Analyzing Data in Excel [6 lessons]
Variance Analysis in Excel 1hLesson Objectives
- Roll up and drill down on a dataset using PivotTables
- Identify differences to budget or previous period
- Create custom groupings within a defined hierarchy
Trend Analysis in Excel 1hLesson Objectives
- Resample time series data using PivotTables
- Visualize trends
- Perform basic forecasting
Exploratory Data Analysis in Excel 2hLesson Objectives
- Summarize data with proportion tables and descriptive statistics
- Visualize the distributions of two or more categories
- Explore the relationship of two continuous variables with correlations
Confirmatory Data Analysis in Excel 1hLesson Objectives
- Compare the difference in means between two groups for statistical significance
- Build a basic linear regression model
- Visualize important statistics concepts using Excel
Business and Financial Modeling in Excel 2hLesson Objectives
- Estimate the sensitivity of an output to given inputs
- Build a scenario manager to anticipate possible outcomes
- Perform what-if analysis to estimate a project’s breakeven point
Guided Project: Analyzing Retail Sales 1hLesson Objectives
- Combine and profile data sources
- Analyze and visualize trends in sales over time
- Analyze changes over time at varying levels of a hierarchy
- Model future business scenarios for impact on profitability
Projects in this course
Guided Project: Analyzing Retail Sales
Work with retail sales data to explore trends and relationships. Build basic models to confirm the statistical significance of your insights.
The Dataquest guarantee
Dataquest has helped thousands of people start new careers in data. If you put in the work and follow our path, you’ll master data skills and grow your career.
We believe so strongly in our paths that we offer a full satisfaction guarantee. If you complete a career path on Dataquest and aren’t satisfied with your outcome, we’ll give you a refund.
Master skills faster with Dataquest
Go from zero to job-ready
Learn exactly what you need to achieve your goal. Don’t waste time on unrelated lessons.
Build your project portfolio
Build confidence with our in-depth projects, and show off your data skills.
Challenge yourself with exercises
Work with real data from day one with interactive lessons and hands-on exercises.
Showcase your path certification
Impress employers by completing a capstone project and certifying it with an expert review.