In this course, you’ll learn the fundamentals of creating visualizations, common pitfalls, and best practices. You’ll also learn how to use the various elements of the Tableau interface, how to create different charts (and their practical uses), and how to transform data using calculated fields and filters.
Best of all, you’ll learn by doing — you’ll practice and get feedback directly in the browser.
- Using the Tableau environment
- Creating different charts, such as a bar chart, a line chart, scatter plots, and pie charts
- Tableau concepts such as calculated fields, functions, data aggregation, and filters
- Data visualization best practices and formatting techniques for better insights
Data Visualization Fundamentals in Tableau [5 lessons]
Data Visualization Fundamentals 2hLesson Objectives
- Identify data visualization types and assess their importance
- Identify the elements in a Tableau sheet
- Recognize differences between dimensions and measures
- How to use shelves to create visualizations
- Modify data types in Tableau
- Employ continuous and discrete using date dimensions
Creating Charts with Tableau 2hLesson Objectives
- Construct a bar chart
- Construct a line chart
- Construct a histogram using bins
- Construct a scatter plot
- Construct a pie chart
- Design a dual-axis combination chart
- Construct a geospatial chart
Calculated Fields and Filters 2hLesson Objectives
- Interpret calculated fields
- Interpret the difference between aggregated and row-level calculations
- Solve business problems using Simple Calculations, Conditional Statements, Date Functions, and String Functions
- Use filters
- Solve business problems using dimension, context, and measure filters
Data Visualization Best Practices 2hLesson Objectives
- Identify your audience
- Maximize the insights of the visual chart
- Enhance user interactivity with the visual chart
- Interpret the importance of color
Guided Project: Business Intelligence Plots 2hLesson Objectives
- Construct different types of visual charts
- Create calculated fields
- Use filters to improve interactivity
- Adhere to data visualization best practices
Projects in this course
Guided Project: Business Intelligence Plots
Practice creating data visualizations in this guided project.
The Dataquest guarantee
Dataquest has helped thousands of people start new careers in data. If you put in the work and follow our path, you’ll master data skills and grow your career.
We believe so strongly in our paths that we offer a full satisfaction guarantee. If you complete a career path on Dataquest and aren’t satisfied with your outcome, we’ll give you a refund.
Master skills faster with Dataquest
Go from zero to job-ready
Learn exactly what you need to achieve your goal. Don’t waste time on unrelated lessons.
Build your project portfolio
Build confidence with our in-depth projects, and show off your data skills.
Challenge yourself with exercises
Work with real data from day one with interactive lessons and hands-on exercises.
Showcase your path certification
Impress employers by completing a capstone project and certifying it with an expert review.