This interactive SQL course for beginners will teach you how to code and perform fundamental data science tasks using SQL — and it will help you begin your journey to become a successful data professional.
In this course, you’ll learn how to write data queries and how to use statements and clauses — as well as the critical role of SQL in routine data science tasks.
Best of all, you’ll learn by doing — you’ll write code and get feedback directly in the browser. You’ll apply your skills to several guided projects involving real-world scenarios to build your portfolio and prepare for your next interview.
- Define the structure of SQL
- Create basic queries to extract data from tables in a database
- Define databases
- Identify different versions of SQL
- Formulate efficient and readable SQL code using styling conventions
Introduction to SQL and Databases [7 lessons]
Exploring the Database and Schema 1hLesson Objectives
- Define and use SQL components
- Introduce ANSI SQL
- Employ comments
- Rename fields in a query with aliasing
Exploring Tables and Columns 1hLesson Objectives
- Define data types and metadata
- Perform text and numeric functions on fields
- Use functions such as ROUND(), UPPER(), and LOWER()
Filtering with Numbers 1hLesson Objectives
- Use comparison operators (<, >, =, <>)
- Find NULL values
- Filter with BETWEEN, IN, AND, and OR
Filtering with Strings and Categories 1hLesson Objectives
- Find unique categories with SELECT DISTINCT
- Filter by strings with IN/BETWEEN
- Filter by wildcards with LIKE
Sorting Results 1hLesson Objectives
- Sort in ascending and descending order
- Sort by multiple criteria
- Use ORDER BY along with LIMIT
- Format SQL code for readability
Conditional Statements and Style 1hLesson Objectives
- Bin numbers or categories with CASE
- Order by expressions
- Explore performant SQL
Guided Project: Analyzing Kickstarter Projects 2hLesson Objectives
- Explain the context of the problem
- Query the dataset
- Filter the dataset
- Sort the dataset
Projects in this course
Guided Project: Analyzing Kickstarter Projects
<p>For this guided project, you”ll take on the role of a data analyst
at a startup. The product team is considering launching a campaign on Kickstarter
to test the viability of some offerings. You”ve been asked to pull data that will
help the team understand what might influence the success of a campaign. </p>
The Dataquest guarantee
Dataquest has helped thousands of people start new careers in data. If you put in the work and follow our path, you’ll master data skills and grow your career.
We believe so strongly in our paths that we offer a full satisfaction guarantee. If you complete a career path on Dataquest and aren’t satisfied with your outcome, we’ll give you a refund.
Master skills faster with Dataquest
Go from zero to job-ready
Learn exactly what you need to achieve your goal. Don’t waste time on unrelated lessons.
Build your project portfolio
Build confidence with our in-depth projects, and show off your data skills.
Challenge yourself with exercises
Work with real data from day one with interactive lessons and hands-on exercises.
Showcase your path certification
Impress employers by completing a capstone project and certifying it with an expert review.