What You’ll Learn
In this Python course for beginners, you’ll learn the fundamentals of Python programming as it relates to data science. There are no prerequisites, so you can jump right into learning how to explore, analyze, and manipulate datasets. Introduction to Python for Data Science covers Python programming fundamentals like understanding various data types, working with variables, and basic data analysis. Enroll in this skill path if you want to learn how to do the following:
- Discover the fundamentals of programming with Python
- Write your first computer program
- Print values
- Define basic programming concepts like variables and data types
- Perform basic programming operations like arithmetic and string concatenation
- Save values using variables and update variables
- Employ syntax shortcuts to update variables
- Work with numerical data and text data
- Convert data types
- Create lists and lists of lists in Python
- Index, slice, and retrieve values from lists
How Our Variables, Data Types, and Lists in Python Course Works
Most Python courses for beginners tend to be video-based. At Dataquest, we believe the best way to get learners to the next level is through hands-on learning. In this introductory course, you’ll start coding as soon as you’re done signing up.
Our lessons walk you through all the Python fundamentals you need to build a solid foundation before moving onto more advanced concepts. We’ve organized our introduction to Python courses into four parts; this course is the first part.
If you want a complete learning experience, you can also explore the various skill paths that include this course. For example, if you’re interested in data analysis, you can explore our Python Basics for Data Analysis path. Or, perhaps you’re looking to begin a new career — you can look into our Data Scientist in Python career path or our Data Analyst in Python path. It’s up to you!
Other key components of our teaching method include practice problems and guided projects. There’s just no better way to learn data skills than by solving real problems with real code. (And this is exactly what hiring managers are looking for!)
Additionally, with Dataquest, you’ll never learn alone. Our vibrant and supportive community of students and professionals is always ready to help. And if you ever need a hand from our powerful support tools, we’re only a click away.
Here’s a glance at our Variables, Data Types, and Lists in Python course:
- This course is the first in the Python Basics for Data Analysis Skill Path. It consists of the four lessons listed below, which cover basic data science fundamentals in Python.
- You’ll write real code with dozens of practice problems to validate and apply your skills.
- At the end of the second course, you’ll complete a guided project to reinforce your new knowledge and expand your portfolio.
- When you complete this course, you’ll receive a certificate that you can share with your professional network.
- Once you complete this course, you’ll be ready for more advanced Python courses.
- Engage with our friendly community of data professionals, get feedback on your projects, and keep building your skills.
Enroll in this Course to learn Python for Data Science Fundamentals!
Variables, Data Types, and Lists in Python Lessons List
Learn to analyze data using lists and for loops.
Who Is This Course for?
Whether you’re a beginner or an intermediate user, this Python course offers you an extraordinary opportunity to get back to basics.
Here are a few examples of people who might want to take advantage of this Python course:
- Data science beginners looking for fundamental data science knowledge
- People who want a career as a data analyst or data scientist
- People seeking remote work
- Anyone who works with data in telecommunication, finance, education, and healthcare
- Junior data scientists or data analysts who want to advance in their current position
- Anyone who wants to be able to capture, process, and interpret data
- Anyone who wants to discover how statistics and probabilities work with data
- Students who want to develop a competitive portfolio
- Python users who want to fill in the blanks and brush up on the basics
Students Who Enrolled in this Course Also Enrolled in:
If you’re looking for an introduction to Python for data science course to start a career in data, we recommend you enroll in the following paths, which will take you from beginner to job-ready in less than a year!
If you just want to expand your skill-set to improve your performance at your current job or are trying to earn a promotion, consider taking the following courses . . .
Qualify for In-demand Jobs in Data Science with Python
Proficiency with Python is valuable and rewarding for many different positions across a variety of industries. The skills you’ll learn in this path can help you start your journey to any of the following careers:
- Python developer
- Data analyst
- Data scientist
- Data engineer
- Business analyst
- Quality assurance engineer
- Financial analyst
- Software developer
- Python full stack developer
- Web developer
- GIS analyst
- Machine learning engineer
- Software engineer
- Biotech analyst
Need to know more about what it’s like to take a Python programming course on Dataquest? Check out our in-depth guide on how to use Dataquest, including some cool tips, tricks, and keyboard shortcuts!