In this course, you’ll learn how to summarize distributions using the mean, the median, and the mode — as well as when to use them. You’ll learn which statistic gives you the most information about a distribution so you know not only how to apply them but also why you should.
You’ll then learn to measure variability using variance or standard deviation, and how to locate and compare values using z-scores. We’ll then explore range, mean absolute deviation, variance, and standard deviation. You’ll also learn about z-Scores and how to use them to compare values across any distribution.
Best of all, you’ll learn by doing — you’ll practice and get feedback directly in the browser. At the end of the course, you’ll complete a guided project in which you’ll find the best markets for advertising an e-learning platform that combines your data science programming skills and the statistical skills you’ve learned in this course.
- Summarizing a distribution using the mean, the weighted mean, the median, and the mode
- Measuring the variability of a distribution using the variance and the standard deviation
- Locating and comparing values using z-scores
Intermediate Statistics in R [6 lessons]
The Mean 1hLesson Objectives
- Identify why the mean is the balance point of a distribution
- Distinguish between the sample and the population mean
- Identify why the sample mean is an unbiased estimator
The Weighted Mean and the Median 1hLesson Objectives
- Define the weighted mean
- Employ the weighted mean
- Define the median
- Employ the median
The Mode 1hLesson Objectives
- Define the mode
- Employ the mode
- Located summary metrics in skewed and symmetrical distributions
Measures of Variability 1hLesson Objectives
- Define range
- Define mean absolute deviation
- Define variance
- Define standard deviation
Z-scores 1hLesson Objectives
- Define z-scores
- Standardize a distribution
- Perform comparisons using z-scores
Guided Project: Finding the Best Markets to Advertise In 1hLesson Objectives
- Expand your portfolio with a guided statistics project
- Add business value using the skills you learned
Projects in this course
Guided Project: Finding the Best Markets to Advertise In
Learn to combine the skills you learned in this course to perform practical data analysis.
The Dataquest guarantee
Dataquest has helped thousands of people start new careers in data. If you put in the work and follow our path, you’ll master data skills and grow your career.
We believe so strongly in our paths that we offer a full satisfaction guarantee. If you complete a career path on Dataquest and aren’t satisfied with your outcome, we’ll give you a refund.
Master skills faster with Dataquest
Go from zero to job-ready
Learn exactly what you need to achieve your goal. Don’t waste time on unrelated lessons.
Build your project portfolio
Build confidence with our in-depth projects, and show off your data skills.
Challenge yourself with exercises
Work with real data from day one with interactive lessons and hands-on exercises.
Showcase your path certification
Impress employers by completing a capstone project and certifying it with an expert review.