This particular course is for intermediate Python users, and it builds upon the essentials covered in our previous Python visualization lessons. You’ll learn how to use Python libraries like Matplotlib and Seaborn to transform raw data into compelling and actionable visualizations. You’ll learn the most common data visualization techniques, and you’ll use Python to generate beautiful, insightful, and meaningful visuals that will give new life to your data.
Best of all, you’ll learn by doing — you’ll practice and get feedback directly in the browser. You’ll apply your skills to several guided projects involving realistic business scenarios to build your portfolio and prepare for your next interview.
- Using information design principles to build narratives
- Building data visualizations to tell compelling stories
- Creating graphs using information design principles
- Creating visual patterns using Gestalt principles
Telling Stories Using Data Visualization and Information Design [5 lessons]
Design for an Audience 2hLesson Objectives
- Create graphs using design principles
- Choose the proper graph using the familiarity principle
- Improve a graph by maximizing the data-ink ratio
- Make advanced graph edits using Matplotlib
Storytelling Data Visualization 2hLesson Objectives
- Identify the elements of a data story
- Build a data story using Matplotlib
Gestalt Principles and Pre-Attentive Attributes 1hLesson Objectives
- Recognize patterns among distinct objects
- Create data visualizations using Gestalt principles
- Control attention using pre-attentive attributes
Matplotlib Styles: FiveThirtyEight Case Study 1hLesson Objectives
- Employ Matplotlib's built-in styles
- Create a FiveThirtyEight graph using Matplotlib
Guided Project: Storytelling Data Visualization on Exchange Rates 1hLesson Objectives
- Create a story using data
- Create data visualizations using brainstorming and sketching
- Create a narrative data visualization using Matplotlib
Projects in this course
Guided Project: Storytelling Data Visualization on Exchange Rates
Combine the skills you’ve learned to create a storytelling data visualization.
The Dataquest guarantee
Dataquest has helped thousands of people start new careers in data. If you put in the work and follow our path, you’ll master data skills and grow your career.
We believe so strongly in our paths that we offer a full satisfaction guarantee. If you complete a career path on Dataquest and aren’t satisfied with your outcome, we’ll give you a refund.
Master skills faster with Dataquest
Go from zero to job-ready
Learn exactly what you need to achieve your goal. Don’t waste time on unrelated lessons.
Build your project portfolio
Build confidence with our in-depth projects, and show off your data skills.
Challenge yourself with exercises
Work with real data from day one with interactive lessons and hands-on exercises.
Showcase your path certification
Impress employers by completing a capstone project and certifying it with an expert review.