This course builds on the SQL Fundamentals course. You’ll become familiar with concepts like the different types of joins and how to combine joins with subqueries to answer business questions. You’ll learn how to write queries using three or more tables, how to perform recursive joins and pattern matching, and how to control how the data will look like with CASE statements.
As you progress, you’ll build and organize complex queries that you can make more readable using the WITH clause; you’ll also use set operations like UNION, UNION ALL, EXCEPT, and INTERSECT to combine tables. You’ll also learn to use relational database concepts like normalizing a table, designing and creating a database, and more.
Best of all, you’ll learn by doing — you’ll practice and get feedback directly in the browser. You’ll apply your skills to several guided projects involving realistic business scenarios to build your portfolio and prepare for your next interview.
- Building and organizing complex queries
- Querying data across multiple tables
- Identifying table relations
- Answering business questions using SQL
Intermediate SQL for Data Analysis [6 lessons]
Joining Data in SQL 2hLesson Objectives
- Employ the four common join types
- Employ joins with subqueries to write intermediate queries
- Employ joins to answer business questions
Intermediate Joins in SQL 2hLesson Objectives
- Write queries that join three or more tables
- Identify recursive joins, pattern matching, and the case statement
- Write advanced joins
Building and Organizing Complex Queries 3hLesson Objectives
- Format queries to make them readable
- Employ the "with" clause
- Employ set operations to combine tables
Guided Project: Answering Business Questions Using SQL 3hLesson Objectives
- Frame a business question into advanced SQL queries
- Employ pandas plot methods to create visualizations of your query results
- Write analyses to communicate the results of your work
Table Relations and Normalization 2hLesson Objectives
- Employ the SQLite shell with databases
- Create and normalize database tables
- Insert and update data in database tables
Querying SQLite from Python 1hLesson Objectives
- Run SQL queries using sqlite3 in Python
- Employ cursors and tuples
Projects in this course
Guided Project: Answering Business Questions Using SQL
Learn the SQL data analysis workflow.
The Dataquest guarantee
Dataquest has helped thousands of people start new careers in data. If you put in the work and follow our path, you’ll master data skills and grow your career.
We believe so strongly in our paths that we offer a full satisfaction guarantee. If you complete a career path on Dataquest and aren’t satisfied with your outcome, we’ll give you a refund.
Master skills faster with Dataquest
Go from zero to job-ready
Learn exactly what you need to achieve your goal. Don’t waste time on unrelated lessons.
Build your project portfolio
Build confidence with our in-depth projects, and show off your data skills.
Challenge yourself with exercises
Work with real data from day one with interactive lessons and hands-on exercises.
Showcase your path certification
Impress employers by completing a capstone project and certifying it with an expert review.