In this course, you’ll learn concepts such as the different types of joins and how to combine joins with subqueries to answer business questions. You’ll also learn how to write queries using three or more tables, how to perform recursive joins and pattern matching, and how to control how the data will look with CASE statements.
As you progress, you’ll learn how to build and organize complex queries to make them more readable using the WITH clause, and how to use set operations such as UNION, UNION ALL, EXCEPT, and INTERSECT to combine tables. You’ll also learn relational database concepts such as normalizing a table, designing and creating a database, and more.
Best of all, you’ll learn by doing — you’ll practice and get feedback directly in the browser. At the end of the course, you will complete two guided projects:
- The SQL data analysis workflow
- Designing and creating a database
- Querying data across multiple tables
- Answering business questions using SQL
- Understanding table relations and how to create and modify databases
Intermediate SQL in R [7 lessons]
Joining Data in SQL 1hLesson Objectives
- Employ the four common joins
- Write intermediate queries using joins with subqueries
- Answer business questions using joins
Intermediate Joins in SQL 1hLesson Objectives
- Write queries that join three or more tables
- Employ recursive joins, pattern matching, and the case statement
- Write advanced joins
Building and Organizing Complex Queries 1hLesson Objectives
- Format queries to make them readable
- Employ the "with" clause and views to organize your queries
- Combine tables using set operations
Guided Project: Answering Business Questions using SQL 1hLesson Objectives
- Frame a business question in advanced SQL queries
- Create visualizations of your query results using pandas plot methods
- Write analyses to communicate the results of your work
Table Relations and Normalization 1hLesson Objectives
- Employ the SQLite shell with databases.
- Create database tables
- Update data in database tables
Guided Project: Designing and Creating a Database 1hLesson Objectives
- Design a normalized database schema
- Create normalized database tables
- Transform data into normalized tables
Projects in this course
Guided Project: Answering Business Questions using SQL
Practice the SQL data analysis workflow.
Guided Project: Designing and Creating a Database
Learn how to design, create, and populate a normalized SQL database.
The Dataquest guarantee
Dataquest has helped thousands of people start new careers in data. If you put in the work and follow our path, you’ll master data skills and grow your career.
We believe so strongly in our paths that we offer a full satisfaction guarantee. If you complete a career path on Dataquest and aren’t satisfied with your outcome, we’ll give you a refund.
Master skills faster with Dataquest
Go from zero to job-ready
Learn exactly what you need to achieve your goal. Don’t waste time on unrelated lessons.
Build your project portfolio
Build confidence with our in-depth projects, and show off your data skills.
Challenge yourself with exercises
Work with real data from day one with interactive lessons and hands-on exercises.
Showcase your path certification
Impress employers by completing a capstone project and certifying it with an expert review.