In this course, you’ll build a critical understanding of the inner workings of Python and basic computation. You’ll also explore basic number systems, methods of encoding data, how to work with text files, and the best way to optimize data usage. Finally, you’ll learn how to develop simple techniques for reading and writing to files, converting between encodings, and optimizing data usage. This course will put you on your way to mastering Python for data engineering.
Best of all, you’ll learn by doing — you’ll practice and get feedback directly in the browser.
- Defining how Python represents data
- Defining encodings
- Processing text files
- Optimizing data usages
Programming Concepts in Python [4 lessons]
Binary and Positional Number Systems 1hLesson Objectives
- Identify how computers represent information internally
- Define the decimal number system
- Define the binary number system
- Apply other number systems like octal and hexadecimal
Encodings and Representing Text in a Computer 1hLesson Objectives
- Define encodings
- Define bytes objects
- Identify some of the most popular encodings
- Define multi-byte encodings
- Define Unicode
- Decode bytes
- Find encodings
Reading and Writing to Files 1hLesson Objectives
- Employ different modes of opening files
- Apply context managers
- Process different encodings when reading from files
- Write to files
- Convert between encodings
Memory and Disk Usage 2hLesson Objectives
- Define fix bit integers
- Define internal representation of integers
- Define the two's complement representation
- Determine how much memory a variable takes
- Reduce the disk usage of data with encodings
The Dataquest guarantee
Dataquest has helped thousands of people start new careers in data. If you put in the work and follow our path, you’ll master data skills and grow your career.
We believe so strongly in our paths that we offer a full satisfaction guarantee. If you complete a career path on Dataquest and aren’t satisfied with your outcome, we’ll give you a refund.
Master skills faster with Dataquest
Go from zero to job-ready
Learn exactly what you need to achieve your goal. Don’t waste time on unrelated lessons.
Build your project portfolio
Build confidence with our in-depth projects, and show off your data skills.
Challenge yourself with exercises
Work with real data from day one with interactive lessons and hands-on exercises.
Showcase your path certification
Impress employers by completing a capstone project and certifying it with an expert review.