This beginner-level course is an introduction to Python programming for data engineering. It requires no previous coding experience — we start from the very beginning with basic Python concepts, and we focus on the tools and skills specific to data engineering.
Throughout this course, you’ll learn to code using real-world mobile app data while you learn key Python concepts that are essential to working as a data engineer.
This course focuses on the following:
Dataquest learners report $30K salary increases on average. Join today!
What You’ll Learn
In this beginner-level Python course, you'll learn Python programming fundamentals that relate to data engineering. There are no prerequisites, so you can immediately begin learning how to explore, analyze, and manipulate datasets.
This Python for Data Engineering Fundamentals course covers basic Python programming concepts and operations. From understanding various data types and Python syntax to working with variables and lists to basic exploratory data analysis: this beginner-level Python course will teach you everything you need to get started on your data engineer career path.
Enroll in this skill path if you want to learn how to do the following:
How our Python for Data Engineering Fundamentals Course Works
Python is such a popular programming language because you can use it for so many things. In this introductory course, we focus on how Python is used in data engineering. There are some essential differences between using Python for data engineering vs. using it for data science. This is why we created a separate set of courses to focus on each area.
At Dataquest, we want to make sure our learners are successful in their careers. So if data engineering interests you, this course is for you. We’ll walk you through the essential Python skills you need to establish a solid coding foundation.
Once you’ve completed this first part, you’ll need to continue onto our part II course to expand the skills you’ve learned here. From there, you can move onto more advanced concepts and be on your way to becoming a data engineer.
Unlike many other introductory Python courses, we don’t teach by using videos or mind-numbing memorization. You’ll learn by doing, starting with lesson one. One of the reasons why over 97% of students recommend Dataquest is because of our guided projects. These projects don’t only help you learn faster, they also help you get hired faster.
Additionally, with Dataquest, you’ll always have a vibrant and supportive community of students and professionals learning with you. You’ll never be alone, and if you ever need a hand from our powerful support tools, we’re only a click away.
Here’s a glance at part one of our Python for Data Engineering Fundamentals course:
- This is the first course in the Data Engineering Career Path. It consists of the four lessons listed below, which cover basic data engineering fundamentals in Python.
- You’ll write real code with dozens of practice problems to validate and apply your skills.
- At the end of each course, you’ll complete a guided project to reinforce your new knowledge and expand your portfolio.
- When you complete this course, you’ll receive a certificate that you can share with your professional network.
- Once you complete this course, you’ll be ready for more advanced Python courses.
- Engage with our friendly community of data professionals, get feedback on your projects, and keep building your skills.
Enroll in this course to learn Python for Data Engineering Fundamentals!
Python for Data Engineering Fundamentals Course Lesson List
Who is the Python for Data Engineering Fundamentals Course for?
Whether you’re just getting started in the data science field, investigating a new career as a data engineer, or are a more experienced user who wants to brush up on the fundamentals, this Python course offers you an extraordinary opportunity to master the basics.
Here are a few people who could benefit from this course:
- Data science beginners looking for fundamental data science knowledge
- People who want a career as a data engineer or data scientist
- People seeking to switch from an in-person data science job to remote work
- Anyone who works with data in telecommunication, finance, education, and healthcare
- Anyone who wants to be able to capture, process, and interpret data
- Students who wish to develop a competitive portfolio
- Python users who want to fill in the blanks and brush up on the basics
Students who Enrolled in This Course Also Enrolled in These Paths:
If you’re seeking a career in data science as a data engineer, we strongly recommend you enroll in the following paths. They will take you from beginner to job-ready in less than a year!
- Data Engineer Career Path
- Data Analyst in Python
- Data Cleaning with Python
- APIs and Web Scraping With Python
- Machine Learning Introduction with Python
On the other hand, if you simply want to improve your performance at your current job or are trying to earn that longed-for promotion, consider taking the following courses to enhance your existing skills and broaden your knowledge base:
Qualify for In-demand Jobs in Data Engineering With Python
Proficiency with Python is one of the most widely sought-after and highly rewarding skill sets in the current job market, and there’s high demand for data professionals in nearly every industry. Once you’ve mastered the data skills in this course, you’ll be well on your way to beginning your journey in any of the following careers:
- Python developer
- Data engineer
- Data analyst
- Data scientist
- Business intelligence engineer
- Quality assurance engineer
- Computer vision engineer
- Software developer
- Python full stack developer
- Big Data engineer
- Machine learning engineer
- Software engineer
- Data architect