This interactive Python course for beginners introduces Python programming fundamentals. The course requires no previous experience—we start from the very beginning! So even if you’ve never written a line of code, we’ll help you build a foundation in data science skills to help you begin your journey to become a successful data professional.
This course focuses on the following:
- Building a foundation in Python — you’ll learn to print text and do basic arithmetic
- Discovering the principles of probability and statistics using Python
- Basic Python operations like building for loops, working with variables and lists, and using conditional statements
97% of our students recommend Dataquest for career improvement. Join today!
What You’ll Learn
In this Python course for beginners, you'll learn the fundamentals of Python programming as it relates to data science. There are no prerequisites, so you can jump right into learning how to explore, analyze, and manipulate datasets. Introduction to Python for Data Science covers Python programming fundamentals like understanding various data types, working with variables, and basic data analysis. Enroll in this skill path if you want to learn how to do the following:
- Discover the fundamentals of programming with Python
- Write your first computer program
- Understand basic programming concepts like variables and data types
- Perform basic programming operations like arithmetics and string concatenation
- Save values using variables and update variables
- Learn how to work with numerical data and text data
- Work with lists and even lists of lists in Python
- Use Python to open a dataset stored on a file
- Analyze data using Python for loops
- Uncover Python conditionals such as if, else, and elif statements
- Utilize logical operators and comparison operators
How Our Python for Data Science Fundamentals Course Works
Most Python courses for beginners tend to be video-based. At Dataquest, we believe the best way to get learners to the next level is through hands-on learning. In this introductory course, you'll start coding as soon as you're done signing up.
Our lessons walk you through all the Python fundamentals you need to build a solid foundation before moving onto more advanced concepts. We've organized our introduction to Python courses into two parts; you can check out the lessons in part two here.
If you want a complete learning experience, you can also explore the various skill paths that include this course. For example, if you’re interested in data analysis, you can explore our Python Basics for Data Analysis path. Or, perhaps you're looking to begin a new career — you can look into our Data Scientist in Python career path or our Data Analyst in Python path. It’s up to you!
Other key components of our teaching method include practice problems and guided projects. There's just no better way to learn data skills than by solving real problems with real code. (And this is exactly what hiring managers are looking for!)
Additionally, with Dataquest, you’ll never learn alone. Our vibrant and supportive community of students and professionals is always ready to help. And if you ever need a hand from our powerful support tools, we’re only a click away.
Here’s a glance at part one of our Python for Data Science Fundamentals course:
Enroll in this Course to learn Python for Data Science Fundamentals!
Python for Data Science Fundamentals Course Lesson List
Who Is Python for Data Science Fundamentals Course for?
Whether you’re a beginner taking your first steps in data science or an intermediate user who wants to brush up on the fundamentals, this Python course offers you an extraordinary opportunity to get back to basics.
Here are a few examples of people who might want to take advantage of this Python course:
- Data science beginners looking for fundamental data science knowledge
- People who want a career as a data analyst or data scientist
- People seeking remote work
- Anyone who works with data in telecommunication, finance, education, and healthcare
- Junior data scientists or data analysts who want to advance in their current position
- Anyone who wants to be able to capture, process, and interpret data
- Anyone who wants to discover how statistics and probabilities work with data
- Students who want to develop a competitive portfolio
- Python users who want to fill in the blanks and brush up on the basics
Students Who Enrolled in this Course Also Enrolled in:
If you're looking for an introduction to Python for data science course to start a career in data, we recommend you enroll in the following paths, which will take you from beginner level to job-ready in less than a year!
If you just want to expand your skill set to improve your performance at your current job or are trying to earn a promotion, consider taking the following courses . . .
Qualify for In-demand Jobs in Data Science with Python
Proficiency with Python is valuable and rewarding for many different positions across a variety of industries. The skills you’ll learn in this path can help you start your journey to any of the following careers:
- Python developer
- Data analyst
- Data scientist
- Data engineer
- Business analyst
- Quality assurance engineer
- Financial analyst
- Software developer
- Python full stack developer
- Web developer
- GIS analyst
- Machine learning engineer
- Software engineer
- Biotech analyst
Need to know more about what it's like to take a Python programming course on Dataquest? Check out our in-depth guide on how to use Dataquest, including some cool tips, tricks, and keyboard shortcuts!
What do learners say about our courses?
recommend Dataquest for career improvement
8 in 10
say learning with Dataquest has improved their lives
total lessons completed by Dataquest learners
For more on what our learners think of Dataquest, check out our student outcomes.
Frequently asked questions about this Python course
How long does the course take?
On Dataquest, you can learn at your own pace. There's no set course schedule you need to worry about.
Different learners work at different paces, but a typical learner might finish this course in 6-10 hours, depending on how familiar they are with coding concepts when they begin.
Read more about how long it takes to learn Python.
Where are the videos?
We don't teach with videos. We think the best way to learn programming is to actually write code, not watch someone else write code.
Read more about the science behind our hands-on learning approach.
Can I try it for free?
Yes, and you should! Sign up for a free account and get started right now, right in your browser!
What is this Python course useful for?
We've designed this course with total Python beginners in mind, and it's focused on how to use Python to work with data.
However, this course is focused on learning the fundamentals of Python, so the lessons you learn here will be applicable across a wide variety of potential applications.
If you want to become a data analyst or data scientist, this is a great place to start your journey. If you just want to learn a little Python to help out with a project at work, this course will be great for that too.