Logistic regression and linear regression are very similar, but the two have slightly different objectives. In linear regression, we try to predict losses in insurance claims. In logistic regression, we’re trying to predict categorical outcomes, otherwise known as classification. In other terms, logistic regression is the classification-based equivalent of linear regression.
In this course, you’ll learn the logistic regression method. You’ll learn how to interpret regression parameters, how to evaluate logistic regression models, and how to apply them.
Best of all, you’ll learn by doing — you’ll practice and get feedback directly in the browser. At the end of the course, you’ll combine your skills to complete a project to classify heart diseases.
- Describing a logistic regression model
- Building a logistic regression model and evaluating it based on the data
- Interpreting the results of a logistic regression model
- Using a logistic regression model for inference and prediction
Logistic Regression Modeling in Python [5 lessons]
Introduction to Logistic Regression 2hLesson Objectives
- Differentiate classification and regression problems
- Differentiate success probability, log-odds, and odds
- Create a simple logistic regression model
- Identify a cost function for logistic regression
Interpreting the Regression Parameters 2hLesson Objectives
- Create and fit LogisticRegression object
- Access the important attributes of a LogisticRegression object
- Interpret logistic regression coefficients
Evaluating Logistic Regression Models 2hLesson Objectives
- Calculate the accuracy of a logistic regression
- Calculate the sensitivity and specificity of a logistic regression
- Plot estimated probabilities against observed classes
- Calculate the positive and negative predictive probability of a logistic regression
Applying Logistic Regression Models 2hLesson Objectives
- Calculate test accuracy of a logistic regression
- Use split-apply-combine workflow for feature selection
- Convey the results of a logistic regression to a reader
Guided Project: Classifying Heart Disease 2hLesson Objectives
- Create a logistic regression model from a dataset
- Evaluate how well the classification model fits the data
- Interpret the model coefficients
- Evaluate the predictive power of the logistic regression model
Projects in this course
Guided Project: Classifying Heart Disease
In this guided project, you will practice the machine learning workflow and practice creating and optimizing a logistic regression to detect heart disease.
The Dataquest guarantee
Dataquest has helped thousands of people start new careers in data. If you put in the work and follow our path, you’ll master data skills and grow your career.
We believe so strongly in our paths that we offer a full satisfaction guarantee. If you complete a career path on Dataquest and aren’t satisfied with your outcome, we’ll give you a refund.
Master skills faster with Dataquest
Go from zero to job-ready
Learn exactly what you need to achieve your goal. Don’t waste time on unrelated lessons.
Build your project portfolio
Build confidence with our in-depth projects, and show off your data skills.
Challenge yourself with exercises
Work with real data from day one with interactive lessons and hands-on exercises.
Showcase your path certification
Impress employers by completing a capstone project and certifying it with an expert review.