In this course, you’ll learn how and when to use linear regression models to make predictions. You’ll learn how to build linear regression models, how to interpret their output, and how to assess model accuracy. You’ll also explore the limitations of linear regression models when data isn’t linear. Finally, you’ll learn to use programming tools to fit and visualize many linear regression models at once.
Best of all, you’ll learn by doing — you’ll practice and get feedback directly in the browser. At the end of the course, you’ll complete a project to practice your skills with a subset of condominium sales data from all five boroughs of New York City.
- Processing numerical and text data
- Interpreting linear regression model outputs
- Assessing model fit and accuracy
Linear Regression Modeling in R [6 lessons]
Introduction to Modeling 1hLesson Objectives
- Define predictive modeling
- Define prediction and inference
- Define errors and residuals
Bivariate Relationships - Correlation and Scatterplots 1hLesson Objectives
- Define correlation
- Identify relationships using scatterplots
- Select variables for linear regression
Estimating the Coefficients and Fitting Linear Models 1hLesson Objectives
- Define coefficients
- Fit a linear regression model
- Interpret linear regression model outputs
Assessing the Accuracy of the Model 1hLesson Objectives
- Assess the quality of coefficient estimates
- Compute linear regression model quality of fit
- Interpret linear regression model quality of fit
Fitting Many Linear Models 1hLesson Objectives
- Generate tidy linear models with the broom package
- Fit linear regression models
- Visualize linear regression models.
Guided Project - Predicting Condominium Sale Prices 1hLesson Objectives
- Expand your portfolio with a guided bivariate linear regression model project
- Overcome errors in the dataset that can influence modeling results
Projects in this course
Guided Project - Predicting Condominium Sale Prices
Combine the skills you learned in this course to perform linear regression modeling of condominium sale price on the basis of size.
The Dataquest guarantee
Dataquest has helped thousands of people start new careers in data. If you put in the work and follow our path, you’ll master data skills and grow your career.
We believe so strongly in our paths that we offer a full satisfaction guarantee. If you complete a career path on Dataquest and aren’t satisfied with your outcome, we’ll give you a refund.
Master skills faster with Dataquest
Go from zero to job-ready
Learn exactly what you need to achieve your goal. Don’t waste time on unrelated lessons.
Build your project portfolio
Build confidence with our in-depth projects, and show off your data skills.
Challenge yourself with exercises
Work with real data from day one with interactive lessons and hands-on exercises.
Showcase your path certification
Impress employers by completing a capstone project and certifying it with an expert review.