Gradient descent is one of the most commonly used optimization algorithms to train machine learning models, such as linear regression models, logistic regression, or even neural networks. It finds the minimum of any convex function by gradually converging toward it.
In this course, you’ll learn the fundamentals of gradient descent and how to implement this algorithm in Python. You’ll learn the difference between gradient descent and stochastic gradient descent, as well as how to use stochastic gradient descent for logistic regression.
Best of all, you’ll learn by doing — you’ll practice and get feedback directly in the browser. At the end of the course, you’ll combine your new skills in a project to optimize a stochastic gradient descent algorithm on linear regression.
- Coding a basic gradient descent algorithm
- Understanding the basic batch and stochastic gradient descent uses
- Visualizing stochastic gradient descent using matplotlib
- Applying stochastic gradient descent in Python using scikit-learn
Gradient Descent Modeling in Python [4 lessons]
Understanding Gradient Descent 2hLesson Objectives
- Find the minimum value in arrays.
- Train machine learning models with gradient descent.
- Write simple algorithms for finding minimum values.
- Code the basic building blocks of a gradient descent algorithm.
Implementing Gradient Descent in Python 2hLesson Objectives
- Test how learning rate affects Gradient Descent
- Build a basic Gradient Descent algorithm in Python
- Code a Basic Gradient Descent function
Gradient Descent in Scikit-Learn 2hLesson Objectives
- Identify the limitations of the basic gradient descent algorithm
- Compare basic gradient descent and stochastic gradient descent
- Make predictions with gradient descent using scikit-learn
- Create a classifier with gradient descent
Guided Project: Stochastic Gradient Descent on Linear Regression 2hLesson Objectives
- Explore a new dataset
- Prepare the data to build a model using SGDRegression
- Measure the efficiency of the model
Projects in this course
Guided Project: Stochastic Gradient Descent on Linear Regression
In this project, you will load, explore, and prepare a dataset to build a stochastic gradient descent regression model (linear regression), and then you will measure the efficiency of the model and visualize the results.
The Dataquest guarantee
Dataquest has helped thousands of people start new careers in data. If you put in the work and follow our path, you’ll master data skills and grow your career.
We believe so strongly in our paths that we offer a full satisfaction guarantee. If you complete a career path on Dataquest and aren’t satisfied with your outcome, we’ll give you a refund.
Master skills faster with Dataquest
Go from zero to job-ready
Learn exactly what you need to achieve your goal. Don’t waste time on unrelated lessons.
Build your project portfolio
Build confidence with our in-depth projects, and show off your data skills.
Challenge yourself with exercises
Work with real data from day one with interactive lessons and hands-on exercises.
Showcase your path certification
Impress employers by completing a capstone project and certifying it with an expert review.