In this course, you’ll learn how to identify and work with the various data types you’ll encounter in any data science role. Next, you’ll explore new concepts like functions, operators, expressions, and control flow. Finally, you’ll learn how to use them to optimize your work in a database.
Best of all, you’ll learn by doing — you’ll practice and get feedback directly in the browser.
- Defining binary operations and functions
- Defining data types
- Filtering results based on logical constraints
- Ordering results
Filtering and Sorting Data in SQL [7 lessons]
Datatypes and Column Operations 1hLesson Objectives
- Identify different data types
- Employ documentation
- Execute operations between columns
- Employ text operations
- Define aliases
Filtering I — Logical Operators 1hLesson Objectives
- Define expressions
- Define conditions
- Filter based on conditions with `WHERE`
- Employ logical operators `NOT`, `AND`, and `OR`
Filtering II — Complex Expressions 1hLesson Objectives
- Define comparison operators
- Identify the order of execution
- Employ the `BETWEEN` operator
Filtering III — Special Comparison Operators 1hLesson Objectives
- Employ `LIKE` operator
- Filter based on patterns
- Avoid multiple uses of `OR` with `IN`
- Define `NULL`
- Check if an expression is `NULL`
Control Flow 1hLesson Objectives
- Program if/then rules
- Employ the `CASE` expression
- Identify pitfalls of the `CASE` expression
The Dataquest guarantee
Dataquest has helped thousands of people start new careers in data. If you put in the work and follow our path, you’ll master data skills and grow your career.
We believe so strongly in our paths that we offer a full satisfaction guarantee. If you complete a career path on Dataquest and aren’t satisfied with your outcome, we’ll give you a refund.
Master skills faster with Dataquest
Go from zero to job-ready
Learn exactly what you need to achieve your goal. Don’t waste time on unrelated lessons.
Build your project portfolio
Build confidence with our in-depth projects, and show off your data skills.
Challenge yourself with exercises
Work with real data from day one with interactive lessons and hands-on exercises.
Showcase your path certification
Impress employers by completing a capstone project and certifying it with an expert review.