In this course, we’ll build on the fundamentals of probabilities, including the theoretical and empirical probabilities, the probability rules ( the addition rule and the multiplication rule), and the counting techniques (the rule of product, permutations, and combinations).
You’ll learn to assign probabilities to events based on certain conditions by using conditional probability rules, how to assign probabilities to events based on whether they are in a relationship of statistical independence with other events, and how to assign probabilities to events based on prior knowledge by using Bayes’s theorem. You’ll also learn to create a spam filter for SMS messages using the multinomial Naive Bayes algorithm.
Best of all, you’ll learn by doing — you’ll practice and get feedback directly in the browser.
- Assigning probabilities based on conditions
- Assigning probabilities based on prior knowledge
- Assigning probabilities based on event independence
- Creating spam filters using multinomial Naive Bayes
Conditional Probability in R [5 lessons]
Conditional Probability: Fundamentals 1hLesson Objectives
- Define conditional probability
- Assign probabilities based on conditions
- Identify the standard notation for conditional probability
Conditional Probability: Intermediate 1hLesson Objectives
- Define the conditional probability rules
- Employ the multiplication rule
- Identify statistical independence between events
Bayes Theorem 1hLesson Objectives
- Assign probabilities based on prior knowledge
- Employ Bayes' Theorem
- Employ the law of total probability
The Naive Bayes Algorithm 1hLesson Objectives
- Identify how a spam filter works
- Employ the Naive Bayes algorithm
- Define the multinomial Naive Bayes algorithm
Guided Project: Building a Spam Filter with Naive Bayes 1hLesson Objectives
- Expand your portfolio with a guided Naive Bayes project
- Add business value using conditional probability and Naive Bayes
- Employ conditional probability concepts in a practical setting
Projects in this course
Guided Project: Building a Spam Filter with Naive Bayes
Learn to use conditional probability and Naive Bayes in a practical setting.
The Dataquest guarantee
Dataquest has helped thousands of people start new careers in data. If you put in the work and follow our path, you’ll master data skills and grow your career.
We believe so strongly in our paths that we offer a full satisfaction guarantee. If you complete a career path on Dataquest and aren’t satisfied with your outcome, we’ll give you a refund.
Master skills faster with Dataquest
Go from zero to job-ready
Learn exactly what you need to achieve your goal. Don’t waste time on unrelated lessons.
Build your project portfolio
Build confidence with our in-depth projects, and show off your data skills.
Challenge yourself with exercises
Work with real data from day one with interactive lessons and hands-on exercises.
Showcase your path certification
Impress employers by completing a capstone project and certifying it with an expert review.