Elements of the Command Line
Learning the command line is essential for a data analyst or data scientist. The lack of a graphical user interface (GUI) also makes the command line faster than other approaches for many tasks.
In our Elements of the Command Line course, you will learn how to use the terminal on UNIX machines. If you’re using a Windows PC or laptop, do not worry! You’ll practice your command line skills right on our platform
In this course, we will learn what the command line is and why it’s useful to you as you begin working in data science. You’ll learn about how to navigate the filesystem, how to alter permissions for different users, and how to access documentation for different commands if you get stuck. When you finish the course, you’ll have had enough hands-on practice that you’ll be comfortable using the command line in your day-to-day data analysis tasks.
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Understand why the command line is important for Data Science.
- Understand important concepts about the command line.
- Understand what a command is and how to modify commands’ behavior with options.
- Understand how to navigate and manage the filesystem.
- Understand how to use globbing patterns and wildcards.
- Understand how to manage users and permissions.
Elements of the Command Line Lessons List
Learn why the command line is important and how to interact with your computer.
Learn about the filesystem and how to navigate it.
Learn how to modify the filesystem.
Learn about wildcards and how they can help you match filenames.
Learn about users, permissions, and why these are important.