In this course, you’ll learn how to build a simple data pipeline using imperative and functional paradigms. You’ll also learn how to use functional closures in Python, how to implement a well-designed pipeline API, how to write decorators, and how to apply them to functions.
At the end of the course, you’ll work on a real-world project, using a data pipeline to summarize Hacker News data. This project is a chance for you to combine the skills you learned in this course and build a real-world data pipeline from raw data to summarization.
- Writing a robust pipeline with a scheduler in Python
- Using advanced Python concepts like closures, decorators, and more
Building a Data Pipeline [5 lessons]
Functional Programming 2hLesson Objectives
- Identify the differences between imperative and functional programming
- Write code in Python in a functional style using map, reduce, and filter
Pipeline Tasks 2hLesson Objectives
- Build task functions in a pipeline
- Write functions using the functional paradigm
Building a Pipeline Class 1hLesson Objectives
- Implement functional closures in Python
- Apply decorators to functions
- Implement a pipeline API
Multiple Dependency Pipeline 1hLesson Objectives
- Define graph theory
- Implement a directed acyclic graph in Python
- Write a scheduler for the pipeline class
Guided Project: Hacker News Pipeline 1hLesson Objectives
- Process JSON API data in Python.
- Expand your portfolio by building a data pipeline
Projects in this course
Guided Project: Hacker News Pipeline
Learn how to use a data pipeline to summarize hacker news data.
The Dataquest guarantee
Dataquest has helped thousands of people start new careers in data. If you put in the work and follow our path, you’ll master data skills and grow your career.
We believe so strongly in our paths that we offer a full satisfaction guarantee. If you complete a career path on Dataquest and aren’t satisfied with your outcome, we’ll give you a refund.
Master skills faster with Dataquest
Go from zero to job-ready
Learn exactly what you need to achieve your goal. Don’t waste time on unrelated lessons.
Build your project portfolio
Build confidence with our in-depth projects, and show off your data skills.
Challenge yourself with exercises
Work with real data from day one with interactive lessons and hands-on exercises.
Showcase your path certification
Impress employers by completing a capstone project and certifying it with an expert review.