About this course
In the Probability Fundamentals course, we covered the fundamentals of probability and learned about:
- Theoretical and empirical probabilities
- Probability rules (the addition rule and the multiplication rule)
- Counting techniques (the rule of product, permutations, and combinations)
In this course, we’ll build on what we’ve learned and develop new techniques that will enable us to better estimate probabilities. Our focus for the entire course will be on learning how to calculate probabilities based on certain conditions — hence the name conditional probability.
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Assign probabilities to events based on certain conditions by using conditional probability rules.
- Assign probabilities to events based on whether they are in relationship of statistical independence or not with other events.
- Assign probabilities to events based on prior knowledge by using Bayes’ theorem.
- Create a spam filter for SMS messages using the multinomial Naive Bayes algorithm.
Lessons in this course
Thousands of learners have changed their careers with Dataquest
Learners who recommend
Dataquest for career advancement
Dataquest rating on
G2Crowd and SwitchUp
Average salary boost
for learners who complete a path
Join a community of 1M+ data learners on Dataquest
Sign up for a free account
Get access to hundreds of free lessons.
Choose a course or path
Start anywhere, from beginner topics to advanced concepts.
Learn with hands-on exercises
Learn with real data and build your experience.
Apply your skills
Create projects, build your portfolio, and build your career.