How to Build a Data Science Career in the USA
For several years, Glassdoor has ranked data science as the best career in the U.S. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the demand for data scientists in the U.S. will grow between 20% – 30% by the end 2026. This means millions of new data science jobs in the United States alone.
Currently, data professionals are among the top earners in the U.S. and around the world. Given the shortage of qualified professionals, this is the best time to start a career in data science. If you’re interested in working as a data scientist in the USA, this page will provide you with helpful information to get started.
There are several ways you can start a career in data science with no experience. Earning a bachelor’s degree is always an option if you can afford it. However, online bootcamps and data science courses have proven to be equally effective at helping aspiring data scientists land their dream jobs.
According to data professionals in the U.S. already working in the field, the following steps can set you on the right path to becoming a data scientist:
- Build your data skills — Whether you decide to earn an advanced degree — or choose a more career-focused approach such as online courses or bootcamps — you’ll need to learn Python, SQL, machine learning, data visualization, statistics, and more. Check out the data scientist in Python career path for full details on learning all the required skills to become a data scientist.
- Build a killer portfolio — Landing a data science job in the U.S. — or any part of the world — will depend highly on the strength of your portfolio. This is how hiring managers and recruiters will determine your qualification for the jobs you apply to. Check out this post on building a data science portfolio that stands out.
- Get an entry-level job — The path to a career in data science often starts with an entry-level position such as data analyst or junior data scientist. As with any job, your career accomplishments will help you advance into management positions.
- Meet other data professionals — Building a solid professional network can be the key to landing a data science job in the U.S. Participating in hackathons and being active on LinkedIn are a great start. You can also join the Dataquest community of data professionals to get started.
Average Data Science Salary in the USA
A data scientist in the USA can earn anywhere between $60K-$300K per year, depending on experience, location, and seniority. The skills you offer and the industry you work in will affect your earnings potential as well.
Below is a quick overview of how much a data scientist in the U.S. earns based on the national average:
- Entry-level = $60K p/year
- Mid-level = $110K p/year
- Senior-level $134K p/year
All averages are according to PayScale.
Data Science Job Outlook in the U.S.
According to LinkedIn research, careers in data science in the U.S. are on the rise. The rapid growth in data collection by businesses has led to an increased need for data professionals. The scarcity of available talent keeps demand high, so the data science career path is as promising as ever.
Since 2012, the employment rate has grown faster than average for this field than for other occupations. And with the growth rate predicted by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, betting against data science as a career move would be unwise in the long run.
Learn more about the job outlook for data scientists in the U.S. here.
Top Places in the U.S. for Data Scientists
With remote work becoming the norm, companies, employees, and aspiring data scientists are expanding their job searches outside of Silicon Valley and San Francisco. That said, the places listed below remain hubs for those looking to build a career in data science.
Income will vary by location, so be sure to click on the links below to get more information about each location.
Most In-Demand Data Science Roles in the U.S.
Learning data science skills is an exciting and promising way to develop your career path. Employers in different industry verticals hire these professionals to help them identify trends to boost revenue and drive down costs. With so many businesses collecting data and trying to stay ahead of the competition, demand for data professionals is higher than ever.
The roles listed below are some of the leading data science careers in the U.S.:
- Data Scientist
- Data Analyst
- Data Engineer
- Data Architect
- Machine Learning Engineer
- Database Administrator
- Business Intelligence Developer
- Marketing Analyst
- Business Analyst
While tools are improving, the proper application of data science requires creativity and insight. This is why a solid understanding of concepts such as statistical analysis, data modeling, machine learning, and deep learning will ensure that you thrive during future shifts in data science job functions.
Now is the perfect time to join the data science community and contribute to the development of this exciting field. Data science has been called the “sexiest job of the 21st century,” and for good reason. With ample opportunities, solid earnings potential, and room for advancement, the data science field offers rewarding careers to those willing to dedicate their time and efforts to learning its precepts.
How Can Dataquest Help?
Dataquest is the #1-rated online learning platform that helps aspiring data professionals build a career they’ll love. Part of our mission is to help learners succeed while also motivating them to continue learning.
Dataquest users report a median salary increase of $30,000 after completing their education on our platform. 97% of our users are fully satisfied with the learning experience at Dataquest.
Here’s what you can expect at Dataquest:
- Career paths that we have carefully structured to take you from beginner to job-ready, no matter what your background is.
- Skills paths that focus on developing skills to help you transition into a career in data or advance in your current role.
- Hands-on lessons we have designed to ensure true learning, as opposed to memorization.
- Guided projects that will help learners focus on problem-solving techniques.
- A vibrant community always willing to lend a helping hand and answer any questions from fellow data scientists and students
To learn more about data science and how this exciting field can change your life, head over and have a look for yourself. You can begin learning and writing codes in minutes, for free!