Investigating Fandango Movie Ratings
In the Statistics Fundamentals course, we managed to learn a good deal about sampling, variables, scales of measurement, and frequency distributions. To make learning smoother and more efficient, we learned about each of these topics in isolation. In this guided project, we go one step further and learn to combine all these skills to perform practical data analysis.
In this guided project, we’ll analyze more recent movie rating data to determine whether there has been any change in Fandango’s rating system after Hickey’s analysis in 2015 that found strong evidence to suggest that Fandango’s rating system was biased and dishonest.
Because we’ll be analyzing movie ratings data to determine if Fandango changed their rating system, we’ll be using ready-made data both made available prior and after Hickey’s analysis
As with all guided projects, we encourage you to experiment and extend your project, taking it in unique directions to make it a more compelling addition to your portfolio!
- Learn to combine the statistical skills you learned to a practical setting.
- Learn to identify and overcome common setbacks in practical data analysis.
- Is Fandango Still Inflating Ratings?
- Understanding the Data
- Changing the Goal of our Analysis
- Isolating the Samples We Need
- Comparing Distribution Shapes for 2015 and 2016
- Comparing Relative Frequencies
- Determining the Direction of the Change
- Next steps