What are office hours for?
Office hours are 15-minute video calls that you can schedule with one of our data scientists. Based on experience, we found that office hours are great for:
- Career advice.
- Resume reviews.
- Portfolio advice.
- Advice on overcoming learning difficulties.
- General questions about Dataquest.
- General technical questions like:
- What is the difference between a method and a function?
- Why do we need to learn to work with the command line as data scientists?
- How to handle missing data?
What are office hours not ideal for?
Because of the nature of video calls, the waiting time for the call, and the total, short length of each call, we found that office hours are not a great tool for answering specific technical questions like:
- Why do we need to define the variable
list_1outside the loop?
- Why does my code throw an error?
- Can you help me understand better this code solution of this guided project?
We have better tools to help you faster and more efficient with this kind of questions:
- Our in-app customer service — you can reach out to customer service by clicking the
?button in our interface. Learn more about our in-app messaging system here.
- Our vibrant Slack community — you can read more about this feature and how to use it in this help article.
What are office hours not for?
At the moment we don’t honor office hours for:
- Data consultancy for work or businesses. Examples:
- I will screen-share private data from work during our video call and I’d like your input to help me solve problem X.
- I own a small business and I’d like to know how can I collect data better about my customers.
- Technical and non-technical questions that are not directly related to what we teach and do. Examples:
- Why doesn’t this query to this Mongo database work? (We don’t teach Mongo databases at the moment)
- I need help with understanding this TensorFlow syntax. (We don't teach TensorFlow at the moment)
- Code reviews. Example:
- I have a project and I need help with code review. (We can’t do code reviews in 15 minutes, but we’re happy to do a quick style review of your project nonetheless).
- Home assignments (from universities, MOOCs, etc.). Example:
- I am currently studying statistics and linear algebra by taking MOOCs. I need help with a programming assignment about covariance matrix.
Joining and cancelling the meeting
Please read this short article to find more information on how to join or cancel the meeting (in case you can't attend it anymore).